Wednesday 30 January 2013

I LOVE Australia.


Happy Australia Day long weekend everyone! Yes, I do realise it is now Wednesday but I have been reflecting on how lucky we are to live in this amazing country. I am so grateful to live in a place that is peaceful, not ravaged by wars and that allows myself and my family to live with freedom and have the life we desire. We also live in a land of extreme weather conditions ... floods and bushfires .... and my heart goes out to those many families that have been affected by these disasters in recent months.


For us, Australia Day is a time to relax and celebrate our good fortune to live in this wonderful place with friends and family. We are lucky enough to have some friends who love to theme occasions as much as I do and we have such a ball together. We have a BBQ lunch by a little creek where the kids can all clamber over the rocks and splash in the water. As you know, I love to colour coordinate everything and this year saw our family in traditional green and gold.


Events like this also give me the opportunity to indulge my creative side in the kitchen. I made koala cupcakes this year. Very cute and easy to boot! First make chocolate cupcakes and ice them with chocolate icing. Then cut a pink marshmallow in half and ice the outside edge with icing before rolling in dessicated coconut. After positioning the marshmallow ears at the top of the cake, add a black jellybean nose and 2 brown M&Ms for eyes. Cover the rest of the cake with coconut and voilá! Koala. (One of our non-dangerous wildlife specimens.  We boast many of the most dangerous creatures on the planet; a fact that Australian's are secretly quite proud of!) Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!







No comments:

Post a Comment