Monday 21 November 2011

Conquering the Paper Piles

I don't know how it is at your house, but at my house, paper seems to multiply rapidly. The pile I sorted and dealt with just last week has grown to gargantuan proportions. It is, in part, due to all those end of year notices, permission forms and catalogues but it is also due to me needing to update our system for dealing with all these former trees! So today, I tackled the paperwork .... again.


A couple of months ago, I came up with a system for broadly categorising and storing papers that are "in use". I bought inexpensive white magazine boxes and jazzed them up with labels I made (so they matched the rest of my colour scheme. Coordinating makes me happy.) Each child has a box which is where I keep their folders for their activities eg. calisthenics, singing etc; their homework books (so their littlest sister doesn't use them for colouring in) and classroom notes and newsletters (I cull these at the end of every term). David also has a box which is great for anything he leaves lying on any flat surface - it winds up in his box and has some hope of being found again. I have several other boxes .... home, party planning and so on.

These boxes have worked really well but I really needed some way of having my current projects in view. It is definitely a case of out-of-sight-out-of-mind for me. So today I added a new "tub"to my kitchen bench.


The tub on the right has my diary, pen cup, notepad, blogging ideas book in it. This is my EVERYDAY tub as I use all of these items on a daily basis. The tub on the left is my current PROJECTS tub and contains several clear folders that I use for ... paperwork to be completed (permission slips and the like), Christmas, summer holiday (including packing lists), a follow-up folder and one for Bec's birthday party which I am in the throws of planning as I type this. The folders in here will change frequently but with any luck, this stuff will not get lost somewhere in a pile on my desk. Here's hoping ......

(Feel free to share how you manage your paper piles in the comments section below. I love to hear how other people get organised.)

2 comments:

  1. I have just "splashed out" and bought five portable filing systems (one for each child) from Kmart, at the cost of $4ea. They are all exactly the same colour, and have the same number of pockets in them (12). I have just (lamely) written the kid's names on the front, so they are easily identified. As there are 12 pockets, it works perfectly for every school year they attend. (Except Kindy) So, in each one I will put: School reports, school merit awards, other awards and certificates, and anything else that is school related that I want to keep! Pretty basic, and not very creative, but when each child leaves the nest, they have their own file of their schooling efforts to take with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Jo. I love the thought of having it all together in the one spot. Must go and have a look at K-Mart.... (I can't resist a great container lol)

    ReplyDelete