Sunday 10 February 2013

Out of the mouths of babes ...


If you have children (or spend any time around children) you will know that they tend to say exactly what comes into their little heads. This can make for some hilarious moments. It can also cause their parents excruciating embarassment from time to time too! I would love to remember all these funny little things they say but the truth is that I have a mind like a sieve. So I have resorted to more permanent record keeping methods.


I am a scrapbooker (that sounds like a confession somehow) and each of my girls has their own album or albums. To ensure that I don't forget those funny little things they say, the last page of each album is dedicated to recording their precious words. When I start a new album for them, I design a page with room for me to write bits and pieces so that I can record them as they happen. This is my best defence against a failing memory. The girls think some of the things they said or did when they were younger are incredibly funny. It's a nice way to remember them at those younger ages.


Megan: "In the olden days, the world used to be in black & white" (passing on some 7 year old wisdom to her younger sisters. She had seen a black & white show on the TV).

After watching the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, David said to Alison "Would you like to learn archery Ali?"   Ali: "Yes but I don't think I'll do the flaming arrows". (I don't think that is actually an option they give 7 year olds!)
 

I really encourage you to do something with those funny little tidbits. Some people use a notebook or a journal, if you are good enough to use one regularly. Use a jar with post it notes or scraps of paper. You could even have funny quotes from your children printed on canvas to hang in your home. But whichever way you choose to do it, just do it. You might think you will remember but writing them down is a good insurance policy.



No comments:

Post a Comment