Thursday 1 December 2011

December Parenting Tool

Oh how I do love the Christmas Advent Calendar! Such an amazing parenting tool if only used in the right way. Early in my parenting journey, we always opened the little numbered window in the morning. This was an exciting way to start the day, no doubt but I’m afraid that if you too subscribe to a morning opening, a large part of the value of this little chocolate is lost. We have swapped to an evening opening of the Advent window and oh how much mileage I am able to squeeze from one small block of chocolate. It is surely worth it's weight in gold.


In our home, this chocolate has to be earnt. Each night before the opening, we have bedroom inspections to make sure that they are nice and tidy. I always go to some effort before December 1 to clean out the girls rooms with them and get them all tidy to start the month but from then on, I expect them to maintain them throughout the month. December is a busy month in our house as I'm sure it is in yours and doing a quick clean up each night after dinner ensures that the rooms stay looking neat and don't become overwhelming. (If I thought this would work on a continual basis I would buy 12 advent calendars for each child - one for each month of the year. Sadly, I think the novelty would wear off.)
Now here is the important part .... If the bedrooms are not tidy (or if the girls behaviour has been less than desirable throughout the day), they don't get to eat the chocolate! They still get to open the window but the chocolate goes to mum or dad who eats it on the spot. Let me tell you, there were tears and tantrums last year when all three of our big girls missed out on their chocolate one night. (In fact, David & I felt pretty mean I do confess.) However, DO NOT NEGOTIATE (with terrorists or children!). The next day the girls were extra helpful and sweet and their rooms that night were spotless and they made sure that mum and dad had to find their own source of chocolates from then on.
I read in some parenting book a long time ago, that you should not reward children with food. I would like to suggest to you that the author of that book had never had children of their own. And if I can harness their desire for chocolate for good rather than evil, well I am all for it! Happy parenting :)



2 comments:

  1. We have had to do a variation on the Advent calender as I have a couple of terrorists who would eat ALL the chocolate from ALL the calenders while everyone was asleep or distracted! Sigh!
    So I made one that has pockets for a Bible verse to narrate the Christmas story and I hide the lolly jar until it's needed each night.

    Definitely thinking it could be a great tool to keep order in our home too......I LOVE LOLLIES!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea Christy! We always reward good behavior with food and hence completely agree with your opinion of that author ;-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete