Tuesday 6 December 2011

Tree Decorating for Kids

I love to decorate the Christmas tree and this is something I have also passed onto my girls. Up until a couple of years ago, we actually had 2 Christmas trees; one for me and one for them. (Mine was barricaded inside the playpen but that's a whole 'nother story.) The girls' tree was their height and the decorations were non-breakable. They would spend hours throughout December decorating it, then taking all the decorations off and decorating it all over again. Great for entertainment value but oh the mess all those little green pine needles made all over the floor ... constantly! 2 years ago, I conceded defeat and allowed them to help me decorate the big tree but they are not allowed to rearrange it every day and I think they have missed this.



So I was inspired when I saw a felt Christmas tree on Pinterest (yes, I know, the source of all inspiration these days). No pine needles to drop and the girls can decorate (and redecorate) to their hearts content. I am not sure whether I should admit this, but I happened to have all the materials I needed for this little project in my craft cupboard. I had planned to do something else with it a long time ago and had never quite gotten around to it. To make your own felt tree, all you will need is a large piece of green felt and several scraps of coloured felt. I cut out different sized circles and then blinged them up with some KindyGlitz (everything is better with KindyGlitz - you just have to trust me on that if you haven't used it before yourself.) I also added some velcro squares to the back of the circles and the tree.

I finished it last night and left it on the coffee table . When I got up this morning, Alison had already tried it out and the little girls were excited to give it a go. It doesn't keep them entertained for quite as long as the real tree decorating did but then it doesn't make the mess either and that makes it a winner in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment