Wednesday 7 December 2011

Making the piles even

Last night I sat on the floor of our lounge room surrounded by bags. These bags contained all the Christmas gifts I have bought over the year. I had already had an attempt at checking the list; this was checking it twice! David sat on the lounge and glanced at me in bewilderment from time to time. "There's an awful lot of stuff there" he commented merrily. "Well, yes" was my reply, "we have 4 children."

I really try not to go overboard at Christmas (and I readily admit that this has not always been the case). Having recently decluttered both the toy cupboard and the girls bedrooms, I know only too well that they don't need more stuff. I am actually a huge fan of the consumable and/or useful gift - thus their stockings have new thongs and bathers, branded (read Barbie, Bratz and Dora) undies, lipgloss and the traditional gold coins (of the chocolate variety).

They each receive a main gift from the jolly man and one from us with a couple of supporting gifts. This is where things get tricky. For one, I don't want "S" getting all the credit for the great gifts. Then there is the size of the gifts - it really is best for everyone concerned if the piles look about even (and I am sure that many mujms can relate here). My girls are really nonplussed about the monetary value, it is just based on how it all looks. Which is why I found myself back at the shops today looking for something large for my 2 little girls. This is no easy feat with 4 children of the same sex ... we already have most of the popular girl toys and believe me, there is a limit to how many dolls accessories you can fit in one average sized home. Thankfully, the toy makers are on to this very problem and continue to bring out a stream of NEW toys each year. I swear I had no idea what a "squinkie" was until today but I am sure we will become more closely acquainted as I will no doubt step on one or more in the middle of the night in the months to come.

So the piles are now pretty even and I discover that I only have 2 more gifts to buy and then I am officially done. One 12 year old boy neighbour and one 40 year old husband. Oh help! If you have any fabulous ideas, I am more than open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment